Creating and sharing knowledge
Academic and researcher
– Head of e-tourism research at University of Eastern Finland Business School.
– Adjunct professor in digital marketing at University of Turku School of Economics.
– Research published in top tourism journals such as Tourism Management and Journal of Travel Research.
– More than 50 academic publications on tourism business including edited books, journal articles, reports, and book chapters.
– Have been teaching tourism business at various universities for more than a decade.
– Designed, launched and managed International Master’s Degree Programme in Tourism Marketing and Management.
– Avid communicator of research results.
– Associate editor in Journal of Information Technology and Tourism and editorial board member in several tourism journals.
– Involved in a dozen tourism research and development projects.
– Board member of International Federation for Information Technology in Travel and Tourism
– I combine the best of academic research and practical business development skills.
– I have been working with Finnish hotel and restaurant chains, municipalities and cities, research and development projects, and small- and medium-sized tourism companies to make their business better for almost a decade.
– Consultancy projects include workshops, business strategy development, social media marketing and online marketing, as well as management consultancy.
– Board member for tourism start-up Salmi Platform
– I am a father of three fantastic kids and married to their mother.
– I like to listen to different types of books on Audible, mainly business books.
– Fan of history, sci-fi and fantasy.
– Favourite hobbies are volleyball and disc golf. Nothing beats the feeling of throwing a disc under the basket or spiking the ball succesfully.
– Lives in Siilinjärvi, Finland.
I started my career in tourism research in 2007 when I was hired as a research assistant for a wellbeing tourism project in Savonlinna, Finland. Little did I know then, but that was the starting point of my career. I got intrigued by the tourism field, the industry, and how tourism is related to our society and planet. Since then I have studied the topic quite a lot and want to share what I have learned as well as I can.
I see that tourism has many positive impacts on the world. I want my kids and all the kids on the planet to have a possibility in the future to travel and see the world. However, there is still quite a lot to do to achieve this. The key is to understand how we do business and what kind of role the tourism business has on our society, as well as what kind of economic, socio-cultural, and environmental impacts it has. Societies need successful entrepreneurs and businesses that make the world a better place. This is the main topic in my research currently.
At this moment I am the head of eTourism research at the University of Eastern Finland (UEF) Business School. I am a member of the Tourism Business research group. We have a fantastic research group full of talented people, each one looking at different ways we can sustainably increase the wellbeing effects of tourism. I am also directing and teaching at International Master’s Degree Programme in Tourism Marketing and Management at University of Eastern Finland Business School. This programme focuses on nature and wellbeing tourism, sustainable tourism and information and communication technologies in tourism. All these themes are of utmost importance for the future of tourism. I am quite proud of the programme we have built and of the students studying and graduating from our programme. They are the future of tourism.
As I have a full-time job I only have limited time available to do consultancy work. Understanding both academic research as well as the current best practices in the industry is important for me. This helps me to improve my research and teaching, which then improves consultancy work. Working with real businesses also creates a channel for me to have an even bigger impact on the future of tourism. Besides interesting consultancy projects, I am always looking for international and national partnerships, joint academic writing and research projects and possibilities to work with people from all over the world.
Contact me by e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org
Watch my tourism business videos on YouTube
Connect with me on LinkedIn
Phone +358 40 184 2698
Follow me on Twitter and Instagram
See my research stats at Google Scholar, Academia.edu and ResearchGate
Find my presentation on Slideshare
Don’t just believe in my word, check out what my network is saying about my skills on LinkedIn: